Monday, September 24, 2012

A Verse to Conquer



Little Kiamer`s bright brown eyes stared intently at me as she struggled to recall the last section of her memory verse. As she chewed on her lip and gazed at the floor in a desperate attempt to rack her brain, one or two correct words slipped out uncertainly, and I nodded vigorously in encouragement. The last part of the verse was just out of her memory`s reach, so I enlisted an older girl, Elisa, to help her, and quietly reassured Kiamer that I was positive she could recite the verse after a tad more work.

Slipping back to me shyly after Elisa`s dedicated assistance, a small smile appeared as she whizzed through the first part of the verse. Arriving again at the stoplight in her memory, her face fell, and only one or two new words were produced. After a minute or so of wriggling and fidgeting, I sent her back to Elisa once more. This process repeated itself yet another time, but I was determined this little one had the stamina to finish. The third time, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her face crumpling, and Elisa hugging her, so I called out, ¨Kiamer! You are so close! I just KNOW you can do it! Come here and let`s finish your verse.¨ Tears streaming down her beautiful face, she obediently tiptoed over to me. Words were whispered, and I told her she could skip the first part, since she had mastered it, and hop straight to the end.

Through sniffles and hiccups, out came each and every correct word. My heart was soaring…I have never been so proud of this girl! I exuberantly hugged her and shouted, ¨You did it!!!!¨ Her tear-stained eyes lit up and her grin 
reappeared.

In a way this reflects the struggles I´ve tackled since moving to Peru. The difficulty of forming deep relationships and maneuvering in a new culture can lead me to crumple into tears of frustration, as Kiamer did. But her example reminds me that crossing the finish line requires lifting up my face towards Christ, swallowing tears, and pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment