Monday, July 9, 2012

The Cost of an ¨H¨




The Cost of an ¨H¨
The five copies of our marriage certificates lay useless at the bottom of my closet. The one letter they´d failed to add to my name demanded attention and made the documents invalid. Aulo phoned the little town where our certificates could be fixed, which resulted in the assurance that the fixed certificates would be in our hands the next week. After wiring money to the man in charge, I was able to put that problem on the back burner. But the day we expected the documents in the mail, my calmness of heart was shattered. Aulo informed me, after yet another phone call, that the man who was supposed to mail it had actually passed away unexpectedly.
I stared at him in disbelief, ¨How did it happen?¨  
Aulo relayed, ¨He had developed pneumonia and was unable to mail the documents.¨
I was stunned, and was jerked back to the fact that life is short and fragile. Aulo and I lifted up the man´s family in prayer- that their hearts would turn to the Lord because of this shocking turn of events.
So now we´re back to square one. The main hindrance now is the time it takes to pass the authority off to another guy who will then redo and sign our documents. In Peru that could be one month or four…it´s a hit and miss. An official letter they sent, indicating the errors on the certificate, provides a sliver of hope for this process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment